[Buddha-l] beliefs & Sanskrit textbooks

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Aug 11 13:43:48 MDT 2005

This is a very good example to the "power of belief". Another
good example is political causes: the more people believe in
a cause - the better its chances for success.

I think that the discussion on "beliefs" has so far been limited
to beliefs with respect to things that are objectively true or
false completely independent of the "believer(s)"- but we all
know that there's more to it than that. Of course, simply closing
your eyes and wishing really hard doesn't substitute for actually
studying Sanskrit - but believing in the power of, say, the Goddess
Saraswati, to help you might actually be beneficialy to one's study.

- Curt