[Buddha-l] The religious practice of going aftersomeone's job--India/USA

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jul 2 15:32:48 MDT 2005

Vedanta should count - Hinduism in general, although its a little
difficult to actually say just what Hinduism is. Buddhism counts,
especially if we ignore artificial political boundaries and speak
more generally of South Asia - or "the Indian Sub-continent".

The secularist critique of religion, in very broad terms, is a
generalization
to all Religions of the critique of Christianity that was developed by
Europeans during the Enlightenment. I just made that up - but I think
it will hold water. In practice secularism tends to treat all Religions
as if they were just different instances of a general phenomenon of
which Christianity is a typical or even paradigmatic example. But other
religions have very different track records - especially with respect to
the specific shortcomings of Christianity (or, more accurately, Latin
Christendom) that the Enlightenment was a response to.

- Curt