[Buddha-l] Is Australia a Buddhist Country?

Sally McAra s.mcara at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jul 3 17:38:37 MDT 2005

Eric Nelson wrote:

>The article suggests that Australia has both high Buddhist immigration
>and "western converts." Does anyone know whether these trends are
>actually higher in Australia than other western counties and, if yes,
>why this might be the case? Eric

Hi Eric
According to census stats, Buddhism is growing fast in Australia.
The Australian Bureau of Stats has some info on this:

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/fa58e975c470b73cca256e9e00296645?OpenDocument

and

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/9658217EBA753C2CCA256CAE00053FA3?Open

The table at the bottom of this site shows Buddhism as undergoing a
79.1% increase between the 1996 and 2001 censuses, so that is high (The
next highest was Islam, which had a 40.2% increase in the same time
period). It is a bigger increase than in NZ, from memory. (I have some
stats on that, but have not got a figure for the intercensal increase -
are you any good at analysing stats? It's not my strong point)

I have not compared with census stats from other countries, but I do
have some literature references on this kind of thing, mainly from the
online Journal of Global Buddhism. Let me know if you want more info.

Cheers
Sally

--
Sally McAra