[Buddha-l] Questions on the vidyas, music in Buddhism, etc.

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jul 4 09:12:02 MDT 2005

I occasionally still pursue an interest in music in early Buddhism......it's
deplored in the Pali canon, as far as I can tell, but exalted in Mahayana
sutras as a worthy means of praising the Buddha and dharma. One Chinese
website I've found (BLIA --Hsing Yun organization) makes claims for music
going back to the Rg Veda: "Buddhist style music recognizes its origin in
India from 1500 to 2000 B.C.E. It came from the Sama Veda of the Rg-veda,
sacred texts, thus providing the roots of Sabdavidya(3) and fan-bei."
(fan-bei is Chinese Buddhist musical performance, but I have never heard it
so cannot say more here).
(3) One of the five logics in India, referring to written languages, rhyme
and linguistics.

On sabdavidya, I found: In ancient Indian Buddhism, there was the well known
five courses of study (vidyas), which includes sabdavidya (linguistic,
phonology, literary studies, and music), silpasthanavidya (science
technology, arts, and crafts) cikitsadvidya (medicine and public health),
hetuvidya (logic and reasoning), and adhyatmavidya (inner science,
metaphysics, and psychology).
    Several websites indicate that sabdavidya is an important study in
Tibetan Buddhism.

My first question: is sabdavidya one of the five original vidyas, or a
branch of one of them? In the original Sanskrit texts, is music discussed as
part of this topic?
Note that music is included in the above explanation of subdavidya. Is this
accurate, (Richard? anyone else on Indian philosophy?)--or has it been
inferred from the original text by later Mahayana practitioners of the
vidyas?

Also, a second question: it's my impression that the terms "music" and
"chanting" are conflated in much Buddhistic discourse. Would the experts
here agree?
E.G.-- Mahayana sutras are cited as indicating that the Buddha praised
certain monks for their fine voices and chanting. From BLIA
http://www.blia.org/english/  : "In the Avatamsaka-sutra, it mentions that
Buddhist music is also a means of promoting the Dharma. The Buddha once made
use of poetic chants and gathas to teach about Bhutatathata and the
universal truth of human life. This was a means of easy comprehension so his
disciples could memorize and recite them. Bhiksu Patha was among the best
contemporary singers during the Buddha's time."
Here I find "poetic chants and gathas" conflated with music.

Further from BLIA:
"In the Saddharna Pundarika Sutra [Lotus Sutra], it mentions that the Buddha
had said, "to sing in praise of the Buddha's moral integrity with a joyful
mind is also the path to Buddhahood." In the Ten Chanting Vinaya, the Buddha
complimented Bhiksu Bhadra, "Hearing what you sing, five benefits are
attained: there is no physical or mental fatigue, what has been memorized
will never be forgotten, the voice will not deteriorate and the verses are
easily comprehended." So, we can see that Buddhist music not only promotes
spiritual sentiment and purifies the mind, it also generates the importance
of benefiting others."

Further:
"As mentioned in the Damamukl Nidana Sutra: King Prasenajit of Sravasti
assembled his army with the intention of attacking Angulimaliya. On his way
to Djeta, he met a very ugly monk with an extremely unusual voice. When he
spoke, he could raise his voice to a very high tone, but the voice was quite
gentle and pleasant. All the soldiers and horses stopped moving, pricking up
their ears to listen enthusiastically to the sounds...."

[What is this Damamukl Nidana Sutra? I cannot find it....]

Further:  (also on BLIA)
Around the 2nd century CE, Asvaghosa Bodhisattva established the path in
India for promoting the Dharma through Buddhist Music. His incomparable
wisdom, eloquence and proficiency in creating music, poetry and drama opened
up a new chapter for Buddhist music.

Playing on his stringed instrument, and singing with great feelings, one day
in front of the royal city, Asvaghosa attracted a big crowd. The following
day, a great number of youth gathered at the Kusumapura Buddhist temple
asking to be ordained. ...Asvaghosa Bodhisattva had a natural ability for
blending Buddha-dharma with music which could be understood and appreciated
by people from all walks of life. He had written about the Buddha in the
Praise to the Buddha's Deeds, as a way of using music to explain the
Buddha's life. This music became very popular and was heard in the palace as
well as on the street.

Asvaghosa was later than the monks Stephen Hodge referred to a while back as
early wandering forest dwelling monks, whose doctrines might have differed
from what's in the Pali canon today. He wrote: "There is evidence that some
of the early Mahayana sutras, such as the Pure Land sutras, were indeed
composed by wanderers or forest-dwellers" (list email dated March 22, 2005).

So, Stephen, is there any evidence that praise for music or chanting as
music (I have no idea what Sanskrit term from sabdavidya, e.g., has been
glossed as "music") also arose at this stage in the development of Mahayana?
Or any other evidence that indicates an early as opposed to later (after the
Buddha dharma appears in Central Asia, gets to China, and/or reached Tibet)
appearance of praise (instead of abjection) for music?

Music in ancient India, Brahmanical or otherwise --natya shilpa-- was not
music per se as we understand it today--it was performed narrative, poetry,
singing, and dance. I'd expect to find it as a performance art among the
vidyas under shilpasthanavidya. So the glossing of whatever terms are
relevant in Mahayana texts as "music" strikes me as peculiar.

Perhaps all that has happened is that Chinese and or Tibetan organizations
of today are simply labeling chanting-with-accompanying-orchestraton as
music.

Hoping to hear from the experts on these issues.......apologies if all this
is confused.
Best wishes
Joanna