[Buddha-l] Is Australia a Buddhist Country?

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 15:43:42 MDT 2005

Gang,

Thanks to Sally McAra for that great reference to the Wuthnow and Cadge
JSSR article on Buddhism. Since Blackwell (the publisher) wants $26 for
me even to *look* at it for 30 days, I'll have to head over to the
library to read it. But I figure it's vaut un voyage as Wendy Cadge has
done good work on Theravada Buddhism in America and I can think of no
better or more influential sociological observer of American religion
than Robert Wuthnow. I'm delighted he's decided Buddhism is worth
looking into. If, as the abstract states, one in eight Americans has
been importantly influenced in their spirituality by Buddhism, then
he's right to give that little old thing a look. I hope further
mainstream researchers do so as well.

FYI, the abstract is at:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1468
-5906.2004.00240.x