[Buddha-l] Re: fundamentalism

Richard P. Hayes Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 16:55:58 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 15:57 -0400, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:

> > Remind me, please. Where's the Buddhist relevance in this post? Or,
> > have we changed our focus on this list?
>

> Are you politely intolerant of any mention of things Catholic on this
> list?

That is an evasion, Stan, and I'm sure you realize it. The gentle
reminder was not an expression of intolerance of any sort, but rather a
reminder to ALL of us who have wandered off topic yet again that this is
a forum for the discussion of Buddhism. One should make an effort to tie
what one has to say to Buddhism in one way or another.

> Sometimes there are Catholics who become excellent scholars of
> Buddhism.

Nice try, I think a better tie than that is called for.

> It could happen that one of the home-schooled students in the Catholic
> group I mentioned will become a scholar of Buddhism.

Yes, and it's also possible that a Buddhist will be named the next pope,
but such possibilities do not really constitute the message in question
having Buddhist content.

Most people who contribute regularly are now being allowed to post
without their messages being moderated. Like all privileges, this one
carries with it a responsibility. In this case, the responsibility is to
remember that people who subscribe to buddha-l are primarily interested
and in bashing Republicans. (Did I say that? I didn't mean to say that.
I think I am channeling Karl Rove's alter ego again.)
\
--
Richard Hayes