[Buddha-l] (Steve) Lane letter

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Wed Jun 1 12:06:48 MDT 2005

"Fort, Andrew" <A.Fort at tcu.edu> wrote:

>As much as I don't want to get involved with this, Lane's last post riled me sufficiently to respond.  Mr. Lane seems to mistake what is appropriate in the classroom with what is appropriate on an on-line forum for scholars and others interested in Buddhism.  My politics track closely with Richard's, but that's not what the university employs me for, so that's not what I teach.  I have more conversative colleagues who teach as I do, but vent to different audiences than I do.<

This is a reasonable view.  On the other hand, Steve's main complaint is that many of his posts responding to political remarks by Richard or other liberally minded posters were not sent to the list.  It is reasonable to expect that they would be, if only to give all posters an equal voice.  So, I would encourage Richard to rethink his criteria for (1)allowing liberal remarks to go unchallanged while (2) disallowing (more) conservative responses to those remarks.  I encourage Steve to reconsider his present course of action since (1) he has forcefully and clearly made his point which, again, I think is also reasonable, and (2) people are entitled to their good name, which it is wrong to harm.

Regards,

Stan Ziobro