[Buddha-l] Re: Mahayana taught by the Buddha?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jun 22 10:57:19 MDT 2005

It is the contagiousness that is most important. I think that at any
given time there are lots of nice people around - but there are very
few who can manage to encourage niceness in others. Or at least
there are very few whose ability to encourage niceness in others
equals or matches the the Dark Forces that discourage niceness.
In fact the human race seems to be at a kind of steady state in
which there is little net increase or decrease in niceness. Unfortunately
this is not a simple "balancing" where there are equal amounts of
niceness and un-niceness - this particular steady state leaves us with
an severe deficit of niceness. For my money "simply being a nice guy"
is woefully inadequate in such a situation - it is necessary to find a way
to tip the balance towards more overall niceness. On the other hand
I would be very willing to settle for something quite short of a complete
elimination of un-niceness.
- Curt