[Buddha-l] Re: Disciple Count

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 23 03:27:22 MDT 2005

My guess would be that all references to 1,250 monks derive
ultimately from the account of the spread of the teaching in the
Mahaavagga (Skandhaka). According to this account, the growth is in
stages:

1. in the Benares region
Eventually there are 60 arahat disciples (made up of the original
five plus Yasa plus four of his friends plus 50 associates of Yasa).
These are sent in all directions, but bring back disciples
(unnumbered) to the Buddha for ordination. Just as he is leaving this
area, the 30 Bhaddavaggiyas join but do not seem to become arahats.

2. in the Gayaa region
The Buddha journeyed back to the area of his Awakening. There he wins
over the three Kassapa brothers together with their followings of
500, 300 and 200 respectively. This gives a total of 1,000, either as
a round number or assuming that the three brothers are included in
the count. All became arahats after the Fire Sermon. Unlike in the
case

3. in Raajagaha (Rajgir)
The Buddha now journeyed on the the capital city of Magadha where the
first 'monastery' is established. It is at this point that Saariputta
and Moggallaana and the 250 other disciples of Sanjaya join the
Buddha's following. Presumably they all became arahats fairly soon
afterwards, but there is no mention of them being sent away by the
Buddha.

This then is the source for the figure of 1,250 monks: 500 + 300 +
200 + 250. Probably we should not take this quite literally. In oral
traditions of this kind 500 is simply a literary convention meaning
'a large number'. So this is the number of disciples of the senior
Kassapa brother. His two brothers are given the same number shared
between them. Sanjaya as a lesser figure is given half the number of
the senior Kassapa.

 From this point of view, 1,250 is then a way of saying that four
large followings have joined the Buddha and are present.
  I do not know anything that would suggest any further symbolic
significance here.

There is also nothing here to indicate any figure for the ultimate
number of disciples taught by the Buddha.  The duration of the
Buddha's stay in these three places is not spelt out very explicitly
in the Mahaavagga, but presumably the above events cannot have taken
more than a few years. Nothing indicates how many monks were taught
by him during the rest of his life.

If we ask the question about lay people, then we can only follow the
indication given in the same account. King Bimbisaara approaches the
Buddha with 12 myriads (nahuta) of brahmins and householders. The
figure is obviously intended to correspond to the twelve and a half
hundreds usually translated as 1,250 - presumably half a myriad would
have sounded odd. What is not said is that the twelve myriads become
disciples. Rather a single myriad declare themselves disciples. I
would agree that this is a hint that in the earlier Buddhist period
Buddhist followers considered themselves to constitute a twelfth of
the population in Eastern India. I don't think we have any better
figure than that.

Lance Cousins