[Buddha-l] Re: Disciple Count

Piya Tan libris at singnet.com.sg
Fri Jun 24 02:26:15 MDT 2005

Lance, your explanation fits closely with those of K¨­gen MIZUNO, The
Beginnings of Buddhism (1980:87) and Hajime NAKAMURA Gotama Buddha
(2000:306).

The references I have found (I think there are others) for
A.d.dha,te.lasehi bhikkhu,satehi: V 1:220, 243; D 1:47, 2:6, S 1:192, Sn
p102 f; a.d.dha,te.lasaani bhikkhu,sataani: SnA p104; MA 2:209. Besides,
the Kandhaka, we also find mention of 1250 monks in Diigha, Sa.myutta and
Sutta Nipaata (beside MA).

It is also interesting to note that the Majjhima Commentary (MA 3:209),
in its closing remarks, mentions the conclusion of the Diighanakha Sutta
as the occasion for Maagha Puuja or Sangha Day (?). After this discourse
to Diigha,nakha and his attainment of stream-winning, the Buddha descends
from Mt Vulture's Peak and goes to the Bamboo Grove (near Raajagaha)
where there is the gathering of the disciples known as "the fourfold
assembly" (catur-a.nga,samannaagato), so called because:

(1) It is the full moon observance day of the month of Maagha (Jan-Feb),
(usually coinciding with Chinese New Year day!);
(2) 1250 monks  have assembled spontaneously (dhammataaya), unprompted
(anaamantitaani);
(3) They are all arhats of the sixfold superknowledges
(cha-.l-abhi~n~naa); and
(4) They are all personally admitted by the Buddha with the formula
"Come, O monk!" (ehi,bhikkhu). (MA 3:209)

Your explanation of the lay followers is new to me, and interesting.

Sukhi

Piya