[Buddha-l] Re: New trans. of poetry of the Sixth DL

Hal Cooper halc at xprt.net
Sat Jun 25 20:51:10 MDT 2005

> Probably so. I have a feeling that a good many Western Buddhists will do
> much the same as he has done as they come to recognize that they are not
> Asians and that in the eyes of Asians they will always be second-class
> Buddhists.

Perhaps some Asians have that view, but I have met some who don't look down
their nose at the Western practitioners.  What the Westerners fail to
realize is that Buddhist practice is difficult for the Asians too.  People
of all nationalities need to work hard at giving, precepts, patience, vigor,
concentration, and perfect wisdom.  If we all do the work, we can combine
together like milk and water.

This issue is very real though.  I have run into many people who just don't
feel comfortable in the Asian Buddhist surroundings.  The Asian Buddhists
need to mind their own practice and the Western Buddhists need to stop
getting into peoples' heads.  So many times a Westerner will go to an Asian
temple and some well meaning Asian will keep pointing to the Pin Yin or
Japanese or whatever like the Westerner needs to do exactly what everyone
else does and they just keep helping the poor  second-class Westerner
relentlessly.  It's just too much confusion and both minds get all bound up.
What I sometimes do is gently close the sutra whenever a well meaning Asian
comes to help me.  Just make an offering later or speak some kind words to
show them you respect the process.  They are tolerant people and will come
to understand and respect your spiritual needs.

There must be a demon at the gates ready to discourage each and every
Westerner because it is really bad now.  It's all the jibber jabber and
false thinking that gets in the way.  Who cares what other people think?
What is the point of being a mind reader?

I feel lonely as the only regular Westerner at -my- temple, but I would
never go back to burning question marks on the  Republicans' lawns.

Have you ever noticed that Westerners don't say "my temple" very often.
They feel like a guest and use expressions like "they" when talking about
the Asian temple.  Some Westerners even get the false impression they are
being run off.  Stand your ground Westerners. It's -your- temple.

One other has many selfs.
One being has many lifetimes.
Lifetimes and selfs are marks.
Do not attach to marks.