[Buddha-l] S. Pinker (linguist, cognitive psychologist)

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Mon Jun 27 09:00:18 MDT 2005

"jkirk" writes:

: Pinker might like to know also that the sainted Larry Summers, when running
: the World Bank, is responsible for this gem:
: In a memo on 12 December 1991 on the impeccable economic logic of locating
: dirty industries and dumping toxic waste in poor Southern countries, Summers
: opined: "I think the logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the
: lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that." He
: concluded the memo with the caution that his analysis "could be turned
: around and used more or less effectively against every bank proposal for
: liberalization."

The trouble is that, if one accepts the premises---the anti-Dharma as it
were---that underlie the dominant economic theories of the "free market"
and "liberaization," the logic is indeed impeccable.  And the hell of
hungry ghosts is inevitable.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu