[Buddha-l] Re: Albuquerque

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jun 28 10:44:42 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 08:43 -0700, Michael Paris wrote:

> Not all Texans are caricatures

Here in New Mexico we spell that "character." And we pronounce "nuclear"
"nuclear" rather than "nukular."

> You, as an educated man, are aware of the Bell Curve.

I think you mean a Ball curve. That's the shape of the side of a Ball
jar. As it happens, I am descended from the Ball family, founder of Ball
Jar Company and Ball State Teachers College, so I know all about Ball
curves. I also know a thing or two about curve balls. They're very
difficult to hit.

> Texas has a small contingent of liberals.

Jim Hightower, Andy Fort and you. That's three. Any others?

> In time my wife (also an atypical native Texan) and I plan retire in
> New Mexico. Looks like a great place to live.

In fact, it's awful. It has become overcrowded, due mostly to the huge
cockroach population and the influx of human beings from California. The
rivers are dry. People plant cactus in their yards. All the food has
chile in it. And New Mexicans are notoriously gruff and hostile to
strangers. (They're all pretty much like me.)

> In the meantime, there are some fine vacation spots on our list. I hope
> to drop by a few Zendos as well.

There are some pretty good zendos here, but watch out for the scorpions
under the zafus. Zazen in New Mexico is a race between instant
enlightenment and sudden death.

--
Dh. Dayamati
Albuquerque, New Mexico