[Buddha-l] Rational or mythological Buddhism and Western Buddhist lay pra...

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 09:42:13 MST 2005

In a message dated 3/22/05 10:11:24 AM Central Standard Time,  rhayes at unm.edu
writes:

>  After all, no pali sources (as far as I am aware of) recommend
>  meditation for lay people, but daana, visits to stupas and other
>  devotional practices.

===
It is my understanding from the commentaries to the Satipatthana Sutta that
it was given at
a town in Kuru country where there was no monastery. My  understanding is
that the teaching was given to laypeople as well as to  monks.

The Potaliya Sutta, MN 54, to use another example, gives advice on how to
realize the essence of homelessness as a householder.

I think there are a lot of other Thera. canonical references to teachings  on
quite profound practices that were given to lay people.

> The problem, in short, is that meditation as part of virtuosi  practice
> is inseparable from a virtuosi lifestyle (monastic,  renunciate,
> celibate etc.), and that such practice when becoming part of  a modern
> lay Buddhist lifestyle (socially and emotionally demanding in  relation
> to family, job etc.) creates psychological stress,  tensions,
> disappointments, and even mental problems.

I have been meditating daily for over 30 years and also run a company as
President, CEO. I am also not celibate. I find the above paragraph completely
false.

Jack