[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines [Lusthaus IV]

Bradley Clough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Mon Mar 28 05:28:44 MST 2005

On Mar 28, 2005, at 3:50 AM, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> Bradley Clough wrote:
>
>> I, and I imagine others, would be interested in knowing which
>> scholars in which works make this case. I'm mostly aware of Tilmann
>> Vetter making this argument. Who else?
>
> Actually, reviewing materials to hand, I perhaps overstated the case
> to speak of a broad consensus, perhaps tendency would be a better word
> to have used  -- many seem to play safe and avoid the issue, possibly
> because of the implicit, rather dire consequences for Buddhist
> doctrines as well as because of the difficulties involved in making a
> determination.  However, other scholars who discuss the problem
> include:
>
> L. Schmidthausen: On some aspects of Descriptions or Theories of
> "Liberating Insight" in Early Buddhism, in Studien zum Jainismus und
> Buddhismus (1981)
>
> J. Bronkhort, "The Two Traditions of Meditation in Ancient India"
> (1986)
>
> R. Gombrich, Retracing an Ancient Debate: How Insight Worsted
> Concentration in the Pali Canon, in How Buddhism Began (1996)
>
> L. de la Valle e Poussin, Musila et Narada: Le Chemin de Nirvana, in
> Melanges chinoises et bouddhiques 5 (1936)

  	Well, perhaps not a consensus, but a pretty formidable list of
leading scholars! I think there is something to the argument of
separate dhyana-centered and vipassana-centered paths being present in
the Pali "canon," although it's tough to show that one came before the
other. But of course I should reexamine these four arguments (and
Vetter's, in The Ideas and Meditative Practices in Early Buddhism
[Brill]) before drawing any conclusions.

Thanks,
Brad