[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines [Lusthaus IV]

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 18:50:30 MST 2005

Bradley Clough wrote:

> I, and I imagine others, would be interested in knowing which scholars in
> which works make this case. I'm mostly aware of Tilmann Vetter making this
> argument. Who else?

Actually, reviewing materials to hand, I perhaps overstated the case to
speak of a broad consensus, perhaps tendency would be a better word to have
used  -- many seem to play safe and avoid the issue, possibly because of the
implicit, rather dire consequences for Buddhist doctrines as well as because
of the difficulties involved in making a determination.  However, other
scholars who discuss the problem include:

L. Schmidthausen: On some aspects of Descriptions or Theories of "Liberating
Insight" in Early Buddhism, in Studien zum Jainismus und Buddhismus (1981)

J. Bronkhort, "The Two Traditions of Meditation in Ancient India" (1986)

R. Gombrich, Retracing an Ancient Debate: How Insight Worsted Concentration
in the Pali Canon, in How Buddhism Began (1996)

L. de la Valle e Poussin, Musila et Narada: Le Chemin de Nirvana, in
Melanges chinoises et bouddhiques 5 (1936)

As I mnetioned previously, the key to solving the problem involves
establishing how and what the Buddha actually did preceding and at the
moment of awakening according to the various recorded accounts.  Complicated
!

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge