[Buddha-l] a question

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Tue May 3 10:48:01 MDT 2005

You have apparently been reading an entirely different Whitman from the
one I know and love.
I have never considered him a "patriot" although he did love Lincoln
very much. He abhorred war and the suffering it caused.

He apparently believed in the unity of all things and the unity of man.
He had a great dream for the US of A, considering it at last an
opportunity for civilization, but was deeply disappointed by the
boosterism and crassness and cruelty that arose instead.

Oh well.