[Buddha-l] Reading assignment

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun May 8 03:34:35 MDT 2005

Richard P. Hayes schreef:

>This talk got me to wondering how many philosophers and other scholars
>are speaking out clearly about the menaces facing us these days. There
>are some, to be sure. But perhaps not enough.

Partly the old question whether to be a yogi or a comissar. I'm very
much in favor of speaking out ones opinion, but it's not done in
academic circles I know because it's to Sartrean. And Sartre was 'a
romantic old fool'. In these days money talks, which means that you have
respect in the media if you're rich. Economic capital generates social
capital. Generating cultural capital is a waste of time and done in the
stage of vanaprastha nowadays.
 I was always very suspicious of Plato's criticism of democracy, but I
think he has a point, although his solution might not be the best. If
democracy means to be ruled by the people, the quality of the
governement depends on the quality of the people, which is mostly
assumed to be a constant factor. But education is supposed to be a way
for everyone to improve the quality of judgement. So the succes of
democracy depends on the quality of the educationsystem. Now here we
have a serious problem because the present day influence of the autistic
method of constructivism frustrates often a decent transfer of skills
and understanding to the next generation. I think Bush is the product of
constructivism ;-) .

erik