[Buddha-l] What is enlightenment?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed May 11 08:34:26 MDT 2005

The Trinity is a good example of a general trend in most
religions to revert to polytheism. Even a religion like Buddhism,
which is "non-theistic" ended up creating an entire pantheon
of Celestial Bodhisattvas and various Buddhas and Dakinis
and whatnot. The doctrinal basis of the Trinity is, of couse,
pretty shaky - essentially its an attempt to jury-rig some Neoplatonic
ideas for use within Christian Theology. For whatever reason
people like to have lots of "Gods" and pretty Icons representing
them.
- Curt