[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri May 13 16:20:44 MDT 2005

Ok----the translation I prefer for the reason I gave converts "awakened"
as a verb form into a predicative adjective, "awake": the Buddha is now
awake;
thus not strictly conforming to the Sanskrit but making for a more useful
translation
from the standpoint of anatta and anicca, since awake can be read or
understood
as an ongoing process of cognitive etc experience.
According to the OED, this adjectival usage of awake came along later than
the
verb form.
Using "awakening" for bodhi strikes me as good (for my purposes anyway)
because it suggests a process that is continuing.
Joanna