[Buddha-l] Can an Air Force cadet have Buddha nature?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon May 16 11:11:37 MDT 2005

One of the best ways of countering the Christian Right is to exercise
the rights they would like to take away - in particular the right to not
be a Christian. Finding ways to make the public aware of the ongoing
existence of Buddhist practicioners in our midst - without engaging
in crude proselytizing - strengthens the first ammendment right to
freedom of religion by simply practicing it. Finding a local Sangha
that one can support - or starting one of one's own - would be a way
of helping to increase Buddhism's "visibility".

Of course there are other things that can be done - like joining in
coalitions with others to engage in political action to defend basic
rights against Right-wing attacks. Something that might not come
to most people's minds right away is the issue of immigrant rights.
Immigrants are the a favorite scapegoat of the Right these days,
and those who take Niemoeller's quote to heart ("First they came
for the Jews....") can see that one of the most logical things to do
in the present political situation is to be vocal supporter of immigrant
rights.

Or maybe we could buy thousands of copies of "The Bible According
to Mark Twain" and Thomas Paine's "Age of Reason" and air-drop
them over Colorado Springs?

- Curt