[Buddha-l] Re: Can an Air Force cadet have Buddha nature?

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Wed May 18 08:18:50 MDT 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 5:19 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> I can read well enough to see that the list of qualities is far from a
> neutral list of stereotyped metonymies. The subgroups are all
> "negative"
> images. In a discussion of how Buddhists can become more prominently
> engaged
> AS Buddhists in political causes, "quietists" would be deadweight.
> Recent
> posts make clear what you think of Christian fundamentalists.
> "Terrorists"
> speaks for itself. Nude starvationists strikes nonJains as abhorrent,
> whatever the karmic justification.

Jeez. I need to learn to read with more sensitivity I guess. I honestly
thought that the first item of each pair was something we ought to
legitimately honor and the second item was a common stereotype we might
consider eschewing. How was I to know that in the one instance both
sides of the pair were "abhorrent".