[Buddha-l] Re: Nirvana si, bodhi no!

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed May 18 10:32:16 MDT 2005

Bruce Burrill wrote:

> At 09:29 AM 5/18/2005, you wrote:
>
>> If the Buddha's students had the same kind of awakening as the Buddha
>> - ie,
>> one that enabled the awakened one to teach others and cause them to
>> awaken,
>> then we should all be awakened by now! And I am not talking "original
>> enlightenment" here - I'm talking anuttara samyak samfreakingbodhi.
>

> Actually, in this discussion, I don't give a rat's ass what the
> Mahayana says (or even the Pali commentarial literature). What I am
> interested in is what the Pali suttas are saying.

Yes, and according to the Pali suttas awakening should spread
exponentially. It seems obvious to me that this did not happen -
so what went wrong? I am not sure what rats's asses have to
do with it, though. I used the term anuttara samyak sambhodi
(perhaps unwisely) to emphasize that I was talking about a
state of awakening equal to that of the Buddha. I assure you I
wasn't trying to hijack the discussion into a Mahayana direction,
or anything like that.
- Curt