[Buddha-l] Re: Can an Air Force cadet have Buddha nature?

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Wed May 18 11:51:23 MDT 2005

"Dan Lusthaus" writes:

:
: > Jeez. I need to learn to read with more sensitivity I guess. I honestly
: > thought that the first item of each pair was something we ought to
: > legitimately honor and the second item was a common stereotype we might
: > consider eschewing. How was I to know that in the one instance both
: > sides of the pair were "abhorrent".
:
: That's exactly right, Jim, though that ("second item...eschew..") is what
: Richard is trying to eel-wriggle out of.

As a Buddhist who---as encouraged in the Shin tradition---eats meat, I
think that we should eschew the stereotype that Buddhists, whom I
honor, are all vegetarians, whom I also honor vegetarians.

What am I eel-wriggling out of here?

Thinking about going out and getting some anago sushi,
<http://japanesefood.about.com/library/pictures/blnigiri_anago.htm>,
I remain struggling to tell the wiggle from the eel.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu