[Buddha-l] Re: Can an Air Force cadet have Buddha nature?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu May 19 16:20:05 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 20:14 +0100, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> Well, not exactly everyone.  More Yankee cultural imperialism ?   I have
> never heard the word "dry" used in the sense of "brassic" or even
> sober"  -- I just thought he wasn't wet with moisture and so was able to go
> out somewhere.

You fortunate people never underwent the disastrous American experiment
in Protestant meddling that took the form of trying to ban alcohol. Over
on this side of the puddle we still have "dry" counties in some states.
Moreover, we have a president who has been described by one psychiatric
authority as a "dry drunk," a term used to describe someone who stopped
drinking alcohol without ever coming to terms with the psychological
malaises that drove him to excessive drinking in the first place.

>   The problems of communication are even more fraught !

Isn't "fraught" the past tense of "French"? Didn't you know that word
had been banned over here?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy