[Buddha-l] One Buddhist's perspective on Zionism

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri May 20 10:30:15 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 03:15 -0400, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Richard is to be commended for offering a clear statement on his admittedly
> hastily hobbled together thoughts on Zionism. After some cursory research he
> confirms the characterization of his position that he initially denied.

False. I denied, and still deny, equating Zionism with racism. And I
denied, and still deny, your chracterization of my position as one that
singles Jews out as the only people in the world who do not deserve to
have a homeland. Those were ridiculous caricatures of what I said. Just
to refresh you memory, here is what you wrote, and this is what I said
was an unfair interpretation of my words.

> "Time to wash away the brainwashing, my friend. Or are
> Jews alone supposed to practice the nonattachment to geography that
> everybody else gives lip service to but never follows (including certain
> neue mexicanische leuten)? [Jews] should rely on the largesse of the
> Christian and Muslim nations in which they've been dispersed (even while having
> maintained a continuous presence in the Land)? We have two thousand years of
> data to see how that thought experiment worked out."

> Richard's latest post reveals that this is indeed exactly his position

Only you would think so. But if thinking so gives you comfort, then I
will not try to disabuse you of what gives you pleasure.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy