[Buddha-l] Re: Nirvana si, bodhi no!

Steven Lane steven505 at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 12:48:33 MDT 2005

Couple of questions on this. According to formal Buddhist doctrine can
Pratyeka-buddhas arise when a Buddha exists in that particular eon. Wouldn't
Hui-Neng have believed in them since he specifically states that a teacher
is not required. And according to my favorite school (T'ien T'ai) the Buddha
transmission lineage was broken to be reestablished by T'ien T'ai patriarchs
(Tian Tai if you prefer) wouldn't the T'ien T'ai either implicitly or
explicitly accept Pratyeka-buddhas, or phased differently the
self-enlightenment is totally possible. I believe they say Hui-wen awakened
spontaneously by himself.

Steve