[Buddha-l] angel or sphinx?

Kate marshallarts at bigpond.com
Thu May 26 17:36:50 MDT 2005

Hi Michel,

The problem is we have yet to establish just what an angel looks like, or at
least what the type of angel that visited Sodom looked like.  If the
description given re man, lion, bull, eagle etc was referring to a sphinx,
perhaps other references to angels in the Bible are talking about sphinxes.

Lot recognised the angels as being different from ordinary men as soon as he
saw them.  There must have been something about them that was immediately
remarkable.  Perhaps the angels radiated some form of pure divinity but this
couldn't have been the only thing because while Lot was filled with awe, the
other men were filled with lust.

Could be the angels were of great beauty and this attracted the men.
However as mentioned sodomites were interested in both men and beasts.  So
what could hold more beauty for them than an entity that combined the two?

There is a ninefold celestial hierarchy of heavenly beings along with a host
of fallen angels and demons.  The ones we usually think of as 'angels' are
the seraphs who are of the highest order and cherubs who are of the second
order.  Both have wings but while the cherub resembles a child, originally
the seraph were six-winged fiery flying serpents which sound more like
dragons than angels. The 'fallen' angels were the "sons of God" type angels
who came to earth to beget children on mortal women (Genesis 6:4)  Later
these were called demons or incubi , or "fallen angels. (The Woman's
Encyclopaedia of Myths and Secrets - BG Walker)

The thing is there were no really well-defined distinctions between angels,
demons, familiars, fairies, elves, saints, genii, ancestral ghosts, or pagan
gods. (Wimberly, 423)  Among supernatural beings one might always find many
hazy areas of overlapping identities, even 'good' or 'evil' qualities being
blurred". - (Woman's Encyclopaedia of Myths and Secrets)

The "angels" who turned up at Sodom could have been anything, though
obviously they had attributes that were attractive to sodomites.  This most
likely means they resembled Man, Beast or both.

Regards
Kate