[Buddha-l] angels

Gad Horowitz horowitz at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri May 27 10:42:08 MDT 2005

I should explain what triggered my Levinasian intervention into Buddhism.
Robert Magliola wrote a book in 1997 called On Deconstructing Life Worlds,in
which he describes how through deep meditation on the devoidness of all
happenings,one can learn how to let "the spectacle of the world go on
without ME,letting go,letting be...observing the rising and cessation of all
things". He refuses to lay claim "to absolute or universalized
truth...except for one conviction,which I insist is binding on all:the
obligation to loving kindness" And I wondered: whence the exception? I wrote
in my essay "Emmanuel, Robert": "Magliola's Buddhism-like Buddhism in
general-does not...account for the ETHICALLY OBLIGATORY quality of the
Boddhisattva vow" Enter Levinas.  Ethical obligation is the prior condition
even of Sakyamuni's enlightenment. The Bodhi tree would also be Jacob's
ladder.