[Buddha-l] RE: Karma and ethics [was: angels]

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri May 27 12:31:47 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 13:25 -0400, Steven Lane wrote:

> The closet person I have ever had to a teacher specifically states the view
> below is incorrect.

A little clarification is in order. Does this quasi-teacher of yours
says that the Abhidharmakosha does not say what I said it says about the
karma of vows? Or does he or she say that the Abhidharmakosha is
incorrect in the way it discusses karma?

> I personally am much more attracted to the salvific doctrine of the
> Mahayana schools.

Then it is good that the Mahayana is there for you. It is equally
fortunate that what you stupidly and mistakenly call "hinayana" is there
for those who prefer it. There is medicine in the cabinet for every
ailment. Take what heals your disease and leave the rest for those who
may have other diseases.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy