[Buddha-l] Re: [Karma and ethics [was: angels]

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat May 28 14:10:04 MDT 2005

Richard P. Hayes schreef:

>On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 20:28 +0200, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
>

>>I disagree, hermeneutics is to let the text do the talking, exegesis is
>>to explain a text according to preestablished criteria.
>>

>Perhaps the words have come to have other meanings. The definitions I
>gave were based on a lengthy essay on the topic in The Interpreter's
>Bible. As far as I am aware, the terms came into use a few centuries
>back in the context of biblical studies, and most people in comparative
>religions now use the terms in the way I have used them to talk about
>the study of other scriptural traditions.

My definitions are based on the contemporary use of the word, which is the outcome of a development of some centuries. You know of course that the first one to use the word in the sense of an independent discipline was Schleiermacher and that the most famous hermeneutes (is that the word?)  were Gadamer en the recently desceased Paul Ricoeur. They wouldn't be very happy with your definition.

Erik