[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Sat Oct 1 07:27:49 MDT 2005

Hi Chan Fu,

>>The world is a bit mad and paranoid at the moment.

> "At the moment"...? Well, perhaps if you take "the moment"
> to be the last 3 or 4 millennia. Paranoia seens to be encoded
> directly in DNA - ref: "fear of snakes, etc.". It' is, and has been
> for quite a while, "mad as a box of frogs".

Sure, with the difference that it has been largely de-spiritualised,
which I initially thought to be a good thing, but I seem to be changing
ideas on that point. Being de-spiritualised (and I am not including New
Age products in spirituality, which is only another form of consumerism
or religion as an expression of identity-angst), it is like it's being
locked in in a closed circle. Looking around instead of looking up. And
madness and paranoia with no issue is thousand times worse. There seems
to be a new thirst for spiritual things, but I am afraid it will be
market and media controlled. I am quite pessismistic about people and
their ability to give expression to genuin freedom in the present
situation. Our present world is also one that believes in activity and
abhors passivity. Its hyperactivity exacerbates the madness and paranoia.

> Hello, Joy!  Fancy meeting you in a place where I was only
> intending to read!  Now, if I can just find Jonathan and
> a few cows...

How is Jonathan, I miss him. You on the other hand don't give me enough
time to miss you, but I miss you too, especially your songs. ;-)