[Buddha-l] Re: Turn off your television

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Mon Oct 3 11:50:52 MDT 2005

On Sunday, October 2, 2005, Bill Kish wrote:

>> But I have have to look at one more documentary full
>> of fat bald men talking about the 60s, I may have to
>> start throwing Molotov cocktails at PBS.

> Perhaps  a  better  solution  would be to just unplug
> your television leave it on your sidewalk with a sign
> that  reads  "take me". The only purpose it serves is
> to provide a never ending selection of other people's
> papa~nca, no?

   Let  me share with you some bits of experience taken
from my life. I think that television can be a good way
to  know  what some interesting people have to say. I'm
thinking  mostly in documentaries as _The Take_ or _The
Corporation_  (corporations get economic resources with
our  television  time,  we  should develop an inform to
know  if  we  gain  more  than  we  loose watching such
programs).  The  problem is that one should be on guard
(let  me  say "aware" as a Buddhist friendly option and
relate  it  with  the  fifth ethical training) 24/7 and
that  is  quite  difficult  as  we  all  know. When one
arrives at home completely exhausted, it's easy to fall
in  the  temptation  of watching some stupid (corporate
directed)  program in order "to enjoy" some relax. So I
think  that  the solution is to make an extra effort in
our Buddhist practice.

   Best wishes,

   Beni