[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 4 15:15:38 MDT 2005

Benito Carral wrote:

>   I  think  this  is  really interesting, it has to do
>with  the  "hapiness myth." Why do most of people think
>that the goal of life is to be happy? I don't agree. In
>fact,  I consider such a view a very dangerous one, and
>certainly unwholesome.

I got the title of Julia Annas' book wrong in my previous post - its
"The Morality of Happiness". The publisher's page for the book (at
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Philosophy/EthicsMoralPhilosophy/~~/cHI9MTAmcGY9MCZzcz1hdXRob3IuYXNjJnNmPWFsbCZzZD1hc2Mmdmlldz11c2EmY2k9MDE5NTA5NjUyNQ==
) has abstracts for each chapter - here is the abstract for the first
chapter, entitled "Making Sense of My Life as a Whole":

"The entry-point for ethical reflection in ancient ethics is the
question of how I ought to live. This develops into thoughts about my
final end and the formal conditions that have to hold of it. The
assumption that this is happiness raises issues about similarities and
differences between modern notions of happiness and the ancient concept
of happiness or eudaimonia."

May all beings be happy - or if they prefer something else, may they get
that.

- Curt