[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Wed Oct 5 12:32:18 MDT 2005

Benito Carral wrote:

>    I  think  this  is  really interesting, it has to do
> with  the  "hapiness myth." Why do most of people think
> that the goal of life is to be happy? I don't agree.

Because you are a realist ;-)

> In
> fact,  I consider such a view a very dangerous one, and
> certainly unwholesome.

Especially if you decide to make others share in your happiness and make
them happy even against their will.

>    As  far  as I know, the Buddha taugh how to end with
> dukkha.  And  that has little to do with most of people
> understand  by  happiness.

Well, he did go on a bit sometimes about describing the end of dukkha as
peace, bliss and what not more.

>  I  would say that, from the
> point  of  view of Early Buddhism, the goal was to have
> peace of mind.

I disagree, immortality was there goal. Becoming a god amongst gods.

>    I  suppose  that  an  interesting question would be,
> "What do people mean when they say, 'happiness'?"

>    Well, my two cents. Now it's dinner time.

That's one of my main ingredients for happiness. Bon appetito.