[Buddha-l] teaching creationism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Oct 6 09:14:44 MDT 2005

Here is a tentative reading list for a class (that exists only in my
mind) on "Creation and Cosmology":

Required reading:
Plato's Timaeus
the Popol Vuh
the Rig Veda (selections)
Chandogya Upanishad
the book of Genesis
"The Peyote Hunt" by Barbara Myerhoff (Huichol cosmology)
Paradise Lost
Ovid's Metamorphoses (selections)
Cicero "On the Nature of the Gods" (selections)
Lucretius' "On the Nature of the Universe"
Hesiod's "Theogeny"
Plutarch "Isis and Osiris"
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Koran (selections)
The Book of Mormon (selections)

Supplemental reading:
Elaine Pagels "Adam Eve and the Serpent"
Isaac Asimov "The Universe"
"The Roman Cult of Mithras" by Manfred Claus
"Primitive Mythology" by Joseph Campbell
"Creation Myths" by Marie Loise von Franz
"Shamanism" by Mircea Eliade
"The Things That Were Said of Them" by Asatchaq et al (selections -
Inuit cosmology)
Inherit the Wind
H.L. Mencken on Religion
"The Enlightenment: The Rise of Modern Paganism" by Peter Gay

To the "supplemental" list I need to add some "apologetic" works in
defense of "Intelligent Design". Whatever. I figure most of the
"born-agains" won't make it through the Timaeus anyway. And I suppose we
could throw in something about the Buddha dodging the question.

- Curt