[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Lee Dillion leedillion at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:24:35 MDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Richard P. Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:20 -0600, Lee Dillion wrote:
>
> > There is content and then there is method. Perhaps this is Richard's
> > subtle Buddhist way of getting others who disagree with his content to
> > breathe and meditate?
>
> My guess is that everyone is either dead or breathing without any
> encouragement from me.

I'm not sure. I've heard rumors that there are people who appear alive, but
don't know the taste of fresh air.

You are right, however, that it is never far from
> my mind to encourage people to meditate on the causes of dukkha and on
> how it might be eliminated. Given that we live in a world in which there
> is a lot of dukkha that could be eliminated if people thought about it
> and then acted on it, and given that a lot of that eliminable dukkha is
> promoted by the choices that we make collectively and severally, it
> never seems off-topic to me to talk about education, politics and other
> institutionalized forms of promoting greed, hatred and delusion.

Ahh. Well, commercial TV in the US does a fine job of broadcasting that all
by itself. Your true evil genius is in getting others who think like you to
become attached to the silly idea that we could actually do something about
it. Struggling with the inevitable disappointment is truly awakening.

--
Lee Dillion