[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Thu Oct 6 20:04:31 MDT 2005

On Thursday, October 6, 2005, Joy Vriens wrote:

> Islam  in  itself  shouldn't  be  a problem. Islamist
> terrorism  is. Islamist proselytism can be considered
> a  problem,  but  then  so  should  any other form of
> proselytism  be  considered  a  problem.  What I find
> worrying  is  that  there isn't much of a reaction of
> rejection  from  more  moderate  muslims about others
> hijacking their religion.

   For  me, this rises an interesting related question,
what  to  do  about globalized liberal forces trying to
hijack  old  religions?  What to do about that specific
proselytism  that  is  trying  to  establish  a  single
individualist  thought  around  the  world?  What to do
about  those who think that rejecting assimilation is a
clear  sign  of  hostility? Are not destroying cultures
and traditional lifestyles terrorist acts?

   I  agree  that  proselytism  must  be  avoided  (and
societies  respected).  When  someone  (as  "mainstrean
western  thought"  or  "terrorists")  tries  to  change
others's  lifestyles  through force or propaganda, that
someone is inviting problems.

   Best wishes,

   Beni