[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Oct 7 10:57:37 MDT 2005

>>  Having  said that, I must admit that if
>> someone  would  try  to  kill someone from my family, I
>> would  not  hesitate  a  second  in using the necessary
>> counter-force. It seems that I'm irremediably caught in
>> samsara,  so  I  will  try  to use this knowledge in an
>> useful way.
===============
One currently alive expert on buddhadharma, HHDL, said the following:

At an afternoon talk by the Dalai Lama on May 14, 2001 to 7,600 Oregon and
southwest Washington high-school students, one girl wanted to know how to
react to a shooter who takes aim at a classmate. The Dalai Lama said acts of
violence should be remembered, and then forgiveness should be extended to
the perpetrators. But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he
said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun... "(1)
(1) Tuesday, May 15, 2001 'Dalai Lama urges students to shape world' By Hal
Bernton, Seattle Times staff reporter)

I see no problem with personal self-defense.
Joanna