[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Fri Oct 7 23:01:15 MDT 2005

Benito Carral wrote:

>>>The other one said that happiness is not feeling bad
>>>and  feeling  good  sometimes,  and  a  good  way to
>>>achieve it, she said, is to be entertained.

>>I agree with her, if by being entertained she doesn't
>>necessarily mean superficial amusement.

>    That  rises  the  interesting  question  of  what  a
> "superficial amusement" is.

I was thinking a bit along the lines of Paul Diel's psychology of
motivation, where superficial amusements would be false or exalted
imaginations, also called multiple desires, that distract us from the
genuin motivation to construct ourselves. To construct ourselves is a
destraction from our basic nothingness, but a worthwile enterprise. If
you think of exalted imaginations as prapanca, you have a nice little
cocktail here, with bits of Diel, Sartre and Indian epistemology.
Superficial amusement. ;-)

>>Anyway,  the construction of our life, the weaving of
>>all  the threads that constitutes our life is nothing
>>else  than  entertainment,  a sort of escape from the
>>nothingness.

>    We  could  even  redefine Buddhist meditation as the
> art  of  being  entertained not matter how bad the show
> is.

Well, as Louis de la Vallée Poussin observes very subtly with his usual
sense of humour, after begging in the morning and eating their meals
those bikkhus had to get through their afternoons.

>    It's  quite  interesting  that the Cosmic Award (TM)
> for  being a non-attached, peaceful and wise individual
> is  final extinction (khandhaparinibbaana).

I think that the Cosmic Award (TM) is a life of non-attachment, peace
and wisdom followed by final extinction (après nous le déluge). I
couldn't wish myself anything better than that.

> (That's why
> if one is a Buddhist and doesn't believe in rebirth, he
> could  come  to  think  that killing others is the best
> bodhisattvic endeavor, but I'm digressing here.)

I am afraid I was the one digressing, but I think that everything that
could be said on that subject has been said by now.

Joy