[Buddha-l] Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sat Oct 8 07:54:15 MDT 2005

I find it easy for introspection to turn to outrospection, and for
self-criticism to be replaced by criticism of others. And when others
display extreme behaviour,  it is more interesting to look at rather
than my own seemingly innocuous behaviour.

At our Centre, we meet for a short discourse or preamble on a particular
subject which is followed by reflection and discussion.  When addressing
conduct - good/bad karma, delusion etc  - there appears to be a tendency
to judge the conduct of others. Such names as Saddam Hussein, Hitler and
Bin Laden arise. Instead of investigating our own behaviour, and sharing
our own experiences, we investigate the extreme behaviour of others. The
person who leads the evening brings people back on topic.

I find others' faults easier to perceive that my own. This may be turned
to advantage if, once their faults are recognised,  they help me to find
the same faults in myself. However, for Buddhist practice, I consider it
fruitless to criticise world leaders, governments, nations etc because I
learn little that could help me improve own behaviour and understanding.
To me, such criticisms belong in the world of politics. They do not tend
to reduce dukkha. In many cases, they tend to increase it. I do not seek
to stifle political thought or action, but I do question its place here.

So I have a question of those who post their opinions on such matters as
presidents, governments, nations, wars, other religions, musicians etc.:
where does this fit into your practice of the Buddhist path, liberation,
awakening, enlightenment etc?

--
Metta
Mike Austin