[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 12:21:24 MDT 2005

Dear Dan,

> Stephen, as is well known, the Japanese have engaged in very creative
> rewriting of the history of the War years.

Of course -- though "non-writing" would be more accurate.  I am well aware
of this too, so you could have saved your breath.  But do you honestly
believe that the Allied account of their actions is 100% accurate and
objective ?   For example, you say that Japanese soldiers never surrendered,
but fought to the death.  This is largely true.  But you must be aware that
US forces often shot unarmed Japanese prisoners -- this is well documented
with accounts from those who actually participated who say that this was
done with full knowledge and encouragement from their commanders (there also
seems to have been a strong racist undercurrent at work at the time).
Deplorable though this is, it happens in all wars -- it was common in Europe
too during both WW I and II.   But then all victors try to conceal this and
portray themselves as upright, chivalrous and squeeky clean.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge