[Buddha-l] Re: Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sat Oct 8 12:10:29 MDT 2005

In message <1128781640.4379.12.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Richard P.
Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> writes

>Stop being so selfish, Mike. It's not all about you and your faults.

If I am to be of benefit to others, it becomes my main responsibility to
address those obstacles that I can change.  If I can effectively address
the obstacles in others also, I will do so.  But discussing the failings
of third parties here is not the way to do it, I feel.  "Think globally.
Act locally." as they say.

>Why not point out that the decisions made by the
>leadership of some nations promotes greed, hatred and delusion in its
>citizens?

Yes, I do. I engage in the democratic protest, I join in antiwar marches
and I occasionally discuss politics. On a Buddhist forum, I cannot point
out dubious decisions to the leadership that make them. What I can do is
to point out discussions that may promote dukkha here, by those who post
here. And I would welcome others to do the same for me.

Maybe I am wrong, but the following quote is one of many on the subject.
I make the assumption that the essence of this applies to lay people:

 From AN X69 Kathavatthu Sutta (Topics of Conversation)

"It isn't right, monks, that sons of good families, on having gone forth
out of faith from home to the homeless life, should get engaged in such
topics of conversation, i.e., conversation about kings, robbers, &
ministers of state... talk of whether things exist or not.

"There are these ten topics of [proper] conversation. Which ten? Talk on
modesty, on contentment, on seclusion, on non-entanglement, on arousing
persistence, on virtue, on concentration, on discernment, on release,
and on the knowledge & vision of release. These are the ten topics of
conversation. If you were to engage repeatedly in these ten topics of
conversation, you would outshine even the sun & moon, so mighty, so
powerful -- to say nothing of the wanderers of other sects."

--
Metta
Mike Austin