[Buddha-l] Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Oct 9 09:20:06 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 21:53 +0700, Chris wrote:

> Richard, (my good friend, I wish and hope!), I wonder if dukkha would
> not be reduced with a few less 'you's and a little less a personal
> aproach in your responses to other people's posts. What do you think?

I cannot give up the pleasure I get out of being sarcastic, dismissive,
contemptuous and sardonic. Moreover, I think being this way serves a
noble purpose, in that it demonstrates to everyone how ugly such verbal
behavior is and thus serves as a valuable moral teaching. Indeed, I
think it may be more effective to show someone a negative example than
to preach a positive one.