[Buddha-l] Teaching Zen Buddhist philosophy

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Oct 9 17:14:13 MDT 2005

The main problem with chucking the "classics" and replacing them with
"contemporary" authors is that you'll have to change the name of the
course from "Zen Buddhist Philosophy" to "Zen Buddhist Pablum". A better
idea would be to use some of the material that is actual studied in the
traditional Zen "curriculum" - especially "The Sutra of Perfect
Enlightenment" and "The Awakening of Faith". Since Packer rejects the
label of Zen I see no reason to go out one's way to include her in a
class on Zen - unless you genuinely find her writings to be insightful
in and of themselves. Rather than Packer you would be much better off
with Lenore Friedman's "Meetings with Remarkable Women" - not
exclusively Zen, but a very interesting overview and extremely
accessible (and Packer is in there). And if you end up a little short on
contemporary women authors, you could try to compensate by focusing on
the extremely interesting area of the history of women teachers in Zen.

Also, there are plenty of good editions of English translations of "The
Records" of various big shot Masters in addition to Chinul (whom I
consider to be the best) and Dogen. Lin Chi, Hakuin, Matsu, Ta Hui all
come to mind. So I would say there's plenty of material that you could
use without resorting to contemporary Western writers. Don't get me
wrong, some of my best friends are contemporary western zen teachers.

- Curt