[Buddha-l] Re: Gender on Buddha-l

Lee Dillion leedillion at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 18:50:51 MDT 2005

Hi Mike:

Your point (that knowledge of the oppressed person's point of view by
the oppressor could have provided an advantage that helped create the
situation) seems likely to me.  See, for example, a recent article in
the NY Times on "Our Inner Ape" where it is noted:

"Like humans, chimps can be ruthless toward individuals who are not part
of their troop. De Waal explains that large-brained animals capable of
using empathy to do kind things for others are also capable of great
cruelty, because they can imagine what their victims will feel."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/09/books/review/09grandin.html

Seems we can choose Conze or De Waal, depending on which framing device
works best for our particular argument.

Lee