[Buddha-l] Re: Teaching Zen Buddhist philosophy

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Sun Oct 9 19:35:04 MDT 2005

On Sunday, October 9, 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> Rather  than giving a lot of historical background, I
> am thinking of having students read five or six books
> by   contemporary   Western  writers  who  have  been
> influenced by their Zen practice.

   I'm  not  sure that this approach you are suggesting
will  fulfill the goal of your course. Are you students
interested  in  knowing  about  Zen philosophy or about
what Westerners have done with it? Maybe you could find
some  balance. I would suggest to include some books by
cotemporary  and  classical  Zen teachers as Thich Nhat
Hanh,  Sheng-yen, Jing Hui, Hsing Yun, Chan Kong... you
could also think on Joanna Macy, just to mention a few.

   Best wishes,

   Beni