[Buddha-l] An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Oct 9 21:57:58 MDT 2005

> Taking these two tests is a very interesting experiment for a buddhist
> practitioner:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,937913,00.html
>
> While being a rabid techologist and maniacally science-oriented,
> I actually found it difficult to answer many questions on the S
> test from my usual perspective of just not thinking about such
> things in the way the questions imply. It's great fun.
>
> cf (high "B")
==============
Hi CF,

This kind of research is not especially new, it's been around for some time,
and I always find it of interest. However, I'm not persuaded that such
ingrained
differences, or effects of hormones, etc., 'create' views, i.e., systems of
cultural ideas, or even non-systems of cultural ideas. But I won't spend
time on this Buddha-L list on behavioral research at the infant or toddler
levels. There is already a large body of research and writing on issues of
gender vis a vis adults (leaving aside the infants and toddlers)--on views
and behaviors--as part of cultural and social analysis.
 I think that scholars by now have abundantly made the case that different
cultures operate differentially in terms of gender, among other aspects of
humanity, and maintain, support, or change the views that go with it. Nobody
has called for "taking sides." Certainly not I.
I have finally grown well aware of the male partisanship that is typical of
probably the majority of this list's members who write in frequently, and
having brought this characteristic out, I don't intend to beat my head
against this wall.  I will, though, continue where relevant to bring out
gender issues in Buddhist literature and practice.
Joanna