[Buddha-l] did the Buddha really say this?

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Mon Oct 10 08:58:42 MDT 2005

In message <20051010065404.22555.qmail at web32109.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
Hans van der Gugten <hans_vandergugten at yahoo.com> writes

>  Which Intentional Actions (Kamma) influence Beauty?

>Is this imo childish idea about being reborn as a beauty,
>considered to be authentic buddha words?
>Can't be true, I guess. What do you know/think?

Ven Bhikkhu Samahita (or Hans?),

Who can say what happens after death? One can only check what happens in
this life. It is easy to check how ugly people are if they become angry.
It is easy to observe the cumulative effects of repeated anger on people
- on their faces and sometimes on their bodies also. Those who regularly
smile develop a more pleasant appearance.  They have attractive wrinkles
at the corners of their eyes. This is observable by everyone.

This says nothing about the features they have been born with, nor about
any features they may be born with in future.  If one notices a tendency
here - even in this life - it is worth adapting one's behaviour to suit,
whether one believes this affects a future rebirth or not.

--
Metta
Mike Austin