[Buddha-l] Re: Petition on the Inclusion of Women's Voices(Parliament of the World's Religions)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Oct 10 09:11:36 MDT 2005

I didn't read the petition post because I'm against bothering with
petitions. I've found, after years of political action of various sorts,
that they are worthless so far as achieving results are concerned. Also,
gigantic world organizations (bureaucracies) like the Parliament of the
World's Religions IMHO are as effective as the UN--namely, practically nil
effective (except for UNESCO, WHO, and maybe the FAO).
I'd of course be very interested to read about it if anyone could
demonstrate that this Parliament achieves anything beneficial and for whom
it achieves it. After all Buddhists are represented in this body. I wonder
what they think they achieve from their membership other than travel and a
fun convention.
Joanna

From: "Jim Peavler" <jpeavler at mindspring.com>